Simply Red Release New Album Blue Eyed Soul on BMG
Simply Red today release their 12th studio album, Blue Eyed Soul, a ten track masterclass in funky, brassy soul music and emotionally charged ballads. Written by singer and band leader Mick Hucknall and produced by long time collaborator Andy Wright, the results are simply sensational. Recorded live, with few overdubs, Blue Eyed Soul draws on inspiration from classic funk and soul: Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, James Brown, Bobby ‘Blue’ Bland and Tower of Power. The album is available for purchase or download HERE.
Blue Eyed Soul is the sound of Simply Red firing on all cylinders. “This record is a bit more raw and a bit more rough n’ ready,” Hucknall told Billboard in a recent interview. “At this stage of my career, I could do one of those dark reflective albums looking back on my life and all that kind of stuff that people tend to do at a certain age,” Mick Hucknall admits. “But I thought sod that! I wanted to make something punchy. I want to have a good time.”
Simply Red also recently released a lyric video for the single “Thinking of You.” Watch it HERE.
After 40 years of making records (with punk band The Frantic Elevators, solo and various line ups of Simply Red) Hucknall wanted to create something tailored to the core strength of his fantastic band. “I asked myself, what would these guys really like to play, night after night? I want them to enjoy playing, for crowds to get up and move around, and everybody to put their heart into it. It’s all about capturing the groove.”
Simply Red have over a billion hits on YouTube, have sold over 60 million albums worldwide, 5 going to number one in the UK. Their 1991 classic Stars was the best-selling album for two years running in Britain and Europe. They have had two US Billboard chart toppers with classic singles “Holding Back The Years” and “If You Don’t Know Me By Now.” Every Simply Red studio album has been a UK top ten (with previous release Big Love reaching number 4 in 2015). Hucknall has been the songwriter and bandleader since the beginning in 1985, aided since 1986 by long-serving saxophonist Ian Kirkham.
- PICTURE THIS RELEASE NEW SINGLE “WINONA RYDER” TODAY
- EPIC Introduces New Actist GIVEON With The Release of His New Song LIKE “I WANT YOU”
- NAYANA IZ Shares Debut Track “how we do” Out Now On Different Recordings
- CHELSEA CUTLER ANNOUNCES DEBUT ALBUM HOW TO BE HUMAN PREMIERES VIDEO FOR LATEST SINGLE “LUCKY” FEAT. ALEXANDER 23
- LEYLA BLUE RELEASES MUSIC VIDEO FOR “SILENCE,” OFF HER DEBUT EP, SONGS FOR BOYS THAT DIDN’T TEXT ME BACK
- Unconventional Country Music Artist, Walker Hayes, Is Giving Back To Fans This Holiday Season With The Release of 8Tracks Vol. 3 – Black Sheep
- RUSS RELEASES THIRD MAJOR LABEL ALBUM ‘SHAKE THE SNOW GLOBE’
- Balthazar Share New Track “Halfway”
- J HUS SCORES NUMBER 1 ALBUM IN THE UK WITH HIS SOPHOMORE ALBUM BIG CONSPIRACY
- #MakeChangeSeries at Salesforce Music Lodge Concludes With Intimate Conversation And Performance From Preservation Hall Jazz Band Featuring Arcade Fire’s Win Butler and Régine Chassagne