Matt Berry Shares New Track “Something In My Eye”
Today Matt Berry has shared new track “Something In My Eye”, the first from his forthcoming album Phantom Birds that will see release on September 18th through Acid Jazz Records. Listen to it HERE.
The ever-busy BAFTA award winning actor continues his remarkable musical meanderings with this new collection of songs that follows his last outing, the brilliantly conceived and rapturously received Television Themes from 2018. Renowned for his love of all things musical and genre defying inventiveness over the course of his previous output, Phantom Birds is an extraordinary album that not only see Berry on vocal duties but for the most part playing most of the instrumentation, aided and abetted by legendary pedal steel guitarist BJ Cole and like-minded drummer Craig Blundell (Steven Wilson, Steve Hackett).
Talking about the album opener “Something In My Eye”, Berry explains: “it’s a song about putting a brave face on. telling everyone you’re fine, when in reality you’re really not at all. Not necessarily something you always hear from a male perspective.”
Inspired in part by a fascination with Bob Dylan’s trio of Nashville albums and the manner in which they were recorded follows and he follows along similar lines. The beauty of Phantom Birds is the seeming simplicity of the songs and minimal musicians so as not to detract from that – the result is a collection of songs pertaining to regular everyday life, from a personal perspective or on a more expansive level.
An intriguing narrative, Phantom Birds flows almost seamless amidst an idyllic backdrop of wonderful sentiment, subtle nuance and real experiences. Berry has arguably created his best work as a singer and songwriter enhancing a musical reputation to sit alongside his acting work – the two overlap in the track “Covered In Clowns”. Gleaned from an assortment of unrelated instances, he explains: “I auditioned for the director John Landis who offered me the part there and then, only to deny ever meeting me some weeks later…”
With six solo albums under his belt Berry has managed to enjoy a passion that first flourished in his teenage years and has since ran in parallel with an ever-growing acting CV. Not only has he written and performed his own songs, collaborations have also proved fruitful with the likes of Bond composer David Arnold, Jean-Michel Jarre and Josh Homme who him to appear and co-write a track on his renowned Desert Sessions series of releases.
1. Something In My Eye
2. Danced All Night
3. Phantom Birds
4. Moonlight Flit
5. Man Of Doom
6. Where’s My Love
7. Take A Bow
9. Hail To The King
10. In My Mind
11. That Yellow Bird
12. Waving Goodbye
13. Covered In Clowns
Pre-order Phantom Birds HERE.
- GLOBAL SUPERSTAR CHRIS BROWN WON BIG AT THE BET PRESENTS: 2019 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS
- THE CHAINSMOKERS RELEASE FULL-LENGTH ALBUM WORLD WAR JOY
- Def Jam Fortefies Executive Team, Promoted Rodney Shealey and Theda Sandiford
- MULTI-PLATINUM ALTERNATIVE BAND NEON TREES RETURN WITH LONG-AWAITED NEW SINGLE “USED TO LIKE”
- Unconventional Country Music Artist, Walker Hayes, Is Giving Back To Fans This Holiday Season With The Release of 8Tracks Vol. 3 – Black Sheep
- CITY MORGUE RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR “YAKUZA” FROM RECENT MIXTAPE TOXIC BOOGALOO
- KAMAIYAH RELEASES NEW SINGLE & VIDEO “STILL I AM”
- RADIUS CHICAGO – New Music Venue Coming Early 2020 w. Dillon Francis, Killswitch Engage, Lil Wayne, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
- 24KGOLDN AND IANN DIOR PLAY IT COOL IN NEW SONG “MOOD”
- HARRY STYLES RELEASES NEW SONG “WATERMELON SUGAR” FROM UPCOMING ALBUM FINE LINE