Empowering pop powerhouse Malia Civetz returns today with “Anybody But You,” a sweetly sharp kiss-off to a former lover who’s wronged her. Listen HERE. The Warner Records release is accompanied by a lyric video that puts Civetz‘s gently vengeful lyrics on full display. Watch it HERE. The simmering soul-pop jam is the latest taste of Civetz‘s forthcoming EP Heels in Hand, which is available for preorder now and out on April 23. Get it HERE.
Over a slick bassline and swirling synths, Civetz dreams of alerting a former lover that she’s moved on with “the boy I told you not to worry about”—and that she’s never coming back. “I might invite you to my party,” Civetz coos. “So you can watch me dancing on some, on somebody new… you probably know who.” The instantly memorable melody, given extra heat by Civetz‘s powerhouse vocals, makes “Anybody But You” an anthem for anyone who has hoped to show someone from their past how much they’re thriving in the present.
The six-track Heels in Hand EP also includes the steely-eyed “When You’re Lonely,” which Civetz released in February. “Anybody But You” follows that song’s heroine through her journey of realizing self-worth. “This is the moment after ‘When You’re Lonely,'” Civetz wroteon Instagram while previewing “Anybody but You.” “It’s when you finally remember who you are and then you realize they’re literally just not worth your time.”
To promote Heels in Hand, Civetz will use her TikTok page to embark on a virtual tour. Beginning on April 20 and running every Tuesday and Friday through May 14, Civetz will premiere new music from the EP, lead Q&A sessions, and take requests. This up-close showcase will bring listeners further into the life of Civetz, who’s used her pop songs and her platform to give fans an honest snapshot of big emotions—and a path through life’s darker parts.
Praised for her sex-positive, self-affirming vision of pop by a slew of outlets including The A.V. Club, American Songwriter, Flaunt, and Paper, Civetz is signed to Friends With Pens, run by her longtime collaborators and “songwriting dads” Ross Golan (Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande) and J Kash (Maroon 5, Charlie Puth). Civetz has also appeared on the “Taylor Swift’s Favorite Songs” playlist and On Air with Ryan Seacrest, and was the opening act for JoJo’s 2018 Leaks, Covers & Mixtapes Tour. In 2020, Civetz released her debut EP The Flip, which features the triumphant “Broke Boy,” the slinky Yung Baby Tate collaboration “Love Thing,” and the sleek Alesso co-write “Disrespectful.” Listen to The Flip HERE. On “Anybody But You” and the Heels in Hand EP, Civetz continues to write her own story in her own inimitable way.
HEELS IN HAND EP TRACKLIST:
1. When You’re Lonely
2. Anybody But You
3. Partied Out
4. Is It You?
5. I Might
6. Sugar Daddy
- EPIC Introduces New Actist GIVEON With The Release of His New Song LIKE “I WANT YOU”
- CASPER BLUFF RELEASES NEW SINGLE “MY SHAWTY” FEATURING COCA VANGO TODAY
- Rising Somali-Norwegian Artist MUSTI Premieres “Lion King” video via Complex
- Owen Releases Debut Track + Music Video for “Baby Girl”
- THE KID LAROI GRIEVES LOST FRIEND, JUICE WRLD IN ENDEARING NEW SONG “TELL ME WHY”
- HARRY STYLES ANNOUNCES 2020 WORLD TOUR
- NEW XXXTENTACION SINGLE “BAD VIBES FOREVER” OUT NOW
- THE BUZZING SIXTEEN YEAR OLD RAPPER FROM AUSTRALIA RELEASES NEW SINGLE “LET HER GO” TODAY VIA COLUMBIA RECORDS
- SKIP MARLEY & H.E.R. PERFORM + INTERVIEW ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA
- Bakar and Lancey Foux Share “Play” Music Video, New Bakar Album Due 2021