M.T. Hadley Shares Video For “Janet” New Album Empty Out 11/8 via Empty / [PIAS]
With his debut album Empty out this Friday, M. T. Hadley has today unveiled the video for standout track “Janet“. Watch it HERE.
Originally released as a song in summer 2016, written a year after he lost his mother to cancer, “Janet” was championed by Frank Ocean on his Blonded BEATS radio show.
In the wake of Janet’s passing, M.T. Hadley had to finish his philosophy degree, soldiering through in the final quarter to graduate one percent off a first following a nightmare exam on Gottlob Frege. ‘Janet’ was written the following year on a piano at a friend’s party. “As other guests sat in bedrooms, drugging themselves into the next day, I dragged myself up with this song.” Hadley tells Crack Magazine in this interview which is also currently premiering the video.
“I first released it on the 16th of June 2016, three years after my mother died”, he shares in a statement. “Today I share it with a video.”
“The song is about memories, which we keep even after someone is gone. The video reflects that. Receiving messages about this song from people it has moved is always strange and wonderful. It staggers me that a song so personal to me can be so personal to others, and grant them similar catharsis. Thank you for these messages. I suppose I hope more people hear the song and enjoy a relief similar to that it grants me.”
It is filmed in Cornwall under a sweltering April sun with directorial and editing assistance from Ciaran Wood and Jacek Zmarz. The sentimental montage captures family holidays spent with Janet and Hadley’s brother. It examines the minutiae of their Cornish getaways – the boredom, the restlessness, the freedom, the peril, the bickering – to frame these moments as profoundly human.
The video follows singles “Reticent” about the emotional perils of nascent romance, “Private Eye“, a melodic noir conjured from the corny humor of petrol station paperbacks, and “Rattle“, a ballad sung to a newborn baby to telling how grim life truly is.
For his album launch and first full show, M. T. has announced that he will be bringing a nine-piece band and a huge sound system to The Others in Stoke Newington on November 13th for two shows: a 5PM matinee to which last few tickets can be purchased here, and a later 9PM performance which is now sold out.
Empty was written throughout the 2010s and takes us on a journey through a decade of misery and decline; nine songs in the key of accepting pain.
Empty track listing:
2. Private Eye
3. First Floor
5. Lonely People
8. Roof Party
9. Read Receipt
- LITTLE MIX RELEASE NEW SINGLE “ONE I’VE BEEN MISSING”
- ‘A Star Is Born’ Wins Best Original Song, Otherwise Snubbed
- EPIC Introduces New Actist GIVEON With The Release of His New Song LIKE “I WANT YOU”
- THE CHAINSMOKERS RELEASE FULL-LENGTH ALBUM WORLD WAR JOY
- Own Orders New Episodes of Hit Saturday Night Series ‘Ready to Love’ And ‘Love and Marriage: Huntsville’
- CITY MORGUE RELEASES NEW VIDEO FOR “YAKUZA” FROM RECENT MIXTAPE TOXIC BOOGALOO
- GLOBAL SUPERSTAR CHRIS BROWN WON BIG AT THE BET PRESENTS: 2019 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS
- LEYLA BLUE SINGER/SONGWRITER RELEASES DEBUT EP SONGS FOR BOYS THAT DIDN’T TEXT ME BACK, OUT TODAY VIA ISLAND RECORDS
- HARRY STYLES TO RELEASE NEW SINGLE “ADORE YOU” DECEMBER 6TH
- SIX60 RELEASE THE MUSIC VIDEO FOR “PLEASE DON’T GO”