JESSIE REYEZ ANNOUNCED AS APPLE MUSIC UP NEXT ARTIST
Apple Music has supported Reyez since the early days of her streaming career, dating back to August of 2016 when her song “Figures” was premiered by Zane Lowe on Beats 1 and was immediately featured on an array of popular Apple Music playlists, including: New Music Daily, R&B Now, and The New Toronto. Reyez’ music has been Shazamed in over 180 countries around the world and cracked Shazam’s Top 25 Global Chart for the first time in April 2019 with her track “Great One” which peaked at No. 11. Reyez also appeared Shazam’s Top 25 charts in the US and Canada with “Figures.” Reyez has received over 325 Million streams on Apple Music to date and is the first Canadian female to be named an Up Next artist.
“Honestly, Apple is a giant — I’m working to be one — so I appreciate them putting me on their shoulders as the next Up Next artist,” said Reyez.
“I've been intrigued by Jessie Reyez since I saw her perform an acoustic version of ‘Figures' on her guitar back in 2016, and her growth since then has been incredible to watch,” said Apple Music host Nadeska Alexis. “In addition to her raw talent, the honesty in her songwriting makes her extremely relatable. On ‘Far Away‘ for example, she tackles something as universal as romantic relationships and as culturally important as immigration with ease.”
Reyez debuted her RIAA certified-gold single “Imported” with 6LACK this spring, from her highly anticipated forthcoming studio album, slated for release early next year via FMLY / Island Records. Her most recent single, “Far Away” and it’s poignant video, received vast critical acclaim from the likes of Variety, Rolling Stone, CBS News, FADER, Complex, Toronto Star, Exclaim!, and more. Last year’s monumental accomplishments included a sold-out 30-date tour and the Fall 2018 release of her EP, Being Human in Public. Reyez has collaborated with Eminem, Daniel Caesar, Sam Smith, Lewis Capaldi and Karol G and has co-writing credits on Dua Lipa’s hit song “One Kiss” with Calvin Harris and “Promises” with Calvin Harris and Sam Smith. She was inducted to the Canada Walk of Fame in 2018 and won a Juno earlier this year for R&B / Soul Recording of the Year.
Reyez’ Up Next short shot on iPhone 11 comes to Apple Music exclusively today and is available to watch HERE. In the film, Reyez tells Apple Music she feels more comfortable expressing herself through her highly personal approach to R&B and hip-hop, or, as she puts it, “I like to sing about shit I don’t like to talk about.”
In her interview on Apple Music’s Beats 1, she talks to Nadeska about how busking sharpened her craft, the rawness inherent in her lyrics, and which song she had to emotionally prepare her family for. Watch the full interview HERE.
On November 21st, Jessie will perform on Jimmy Kimmel Live! as part of Apple Music's Up Next program.
- GRAMMY®-WINNING ARTIST TASHA COBBS LEONARD CELEBRATES TEN-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF DEBUT ALBUM SMILE WITH SPECIAL REMASTER AND RE-RELEASE
- ALA.NI Releases New Song and Video “Lament for Emmett Till” Benefitting The Emmett Till Legacy Foundation
- MAROON 5 ANNOUNCE 2020 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
- SKIP MARLEY RELEASES NEW MUSIC VIDEO FOR SINGLE “SLOW DOWN” WITH H.E.R.!
- RISING R&B ARTIST SAVANNAH CRISTINA UNVEILS “F’D UP” FEAT. FLO MILLI
- “AUTOMATIC” by DAY KORNEGAY MUSIC VIDEO
- WATCH FIVIO FOREIGN AND YOUNG M.A COME TOGETHER IN THE MAFIA INSPIRED MUSIC VIDEO FOR “MOVE LIKE A BOSS”
- JOHAN LENOX RELEASES NEW SINGLE WITH VISUAL “NO ONE WANTS TO DANCE ANYMORE” FT. YUNG PINCH
- Q MONEY CELEBRATES HIS BIRTHDAY WITH THE RELEASE OF NEW MIXTAPE “HOW YOU GON HATE”
- KID CUDI AND EMINEM UNLEASH NEW SINGLE “THE ADVENTURES OF MOON MAN & SLIM SHADY”