DERYK SHARES NEW SINGLE “ONE STAR”
Auckland-based newcomer deryk returns today with the staggeringly moving track “One Star,” hot on the heels of her debut single “Call You Out,” and announces her debut EP WOMb out on October 2nd.
The new single from the 24-year-old singer and songwriter explores themes of loss and recovery with deryk’s stirring vocals journeying us through this unsettling and trying landscape, as she sings, “if you never treat the wound, like coffee it’ll brew.” The shadowy video for “One Star” was created, shot and directed by deryk during lockdown.
Speaking on “One Star,” deryk says, “Loss and betrayal can stop time, I swear. The moment you find out, it’s like your whole body deflates and while you’re trying to come to terms with it, the rest of your world carries on, judging you for not recovering in 2 minutes. It can be very isolating, and in that headspace I wrote ‘One Star.’”
The sound of deryk is unique and captivating, moulding distinctive, rhythmic vocal phrasings and visceral lyrics around craftily submerged melodies and ghostly modular tones. Slow music for fast times, space and solace amongst the confusion, a gentle reveal in the age of instant gratification, mordant lines over sumptuous melodies—deryk is something special.
It’s all too rare to discover a new artist who doesn’t acquiesce to the current penchant for in-your-face introductions, but instead chooses to aim squarely at your heart. deryk is one such exception. While the world moves at a dizzying pace all around her, she manages to summon space and instil stillness in her music, as well as deliver a few surprises along the way.
Born in the UK and now based in Auckland, deryk is heavily influenced by British culture in all aspects of her creativity thanks to her mom. Musically, she draws inspiration from powerful female artists, like PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple, Esperanza Spalding, Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell and Bjork, as well as her love for Bristol and its culture in the 90’s. deryk has crafted her own sound that feels utterly contemporary while still retaining a hazy, timeless quality. Contributing to that is her production and writing spar, Justyn Pilbrow, whose extensive experience with artists like The Neighbourhood, Chelsea Jade and Halsey helped deryk capture her vison.
- Broccoli City Announces Superstars for the 2019 Broccoli City Festival
- GLOBAL SUPERSTAR CHRIS BROWN WON BIG AT THE BET PRESENTS: 2019 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS
- A NIGHT ON THE RIVER: Celebrating the 10th Anniversary of Mississippi Night at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles With Participation of Memphis and Louisiana Artists on Thursday, Feb. 7
- BENEE PREMIERES VIDEO FOR “BLU”
- ASCAP EXPO Initial Lineup: 2019’s Chart-Toppers, GRAMMY Winners, Platinum Hitmakers Set to Inspire
- RUSS RELEASES THIRD MAJOR LABEL ALBUM ‘SHAKE THE SNOW GLOBE’
- HARRY STYLES TO RELEASE NEW SINGLE “ADORE YOU” DECEMBER 6TH
- EPIC Introduces New Actist GIVEON With The Release of His New Song LIKE “I WANT YOU”
- NAYANA IZ Shares Debut Track “how we do” Out Now On Different Recordings
- JEREMY ZUCKER RETURNS WITH NEW SINGLE “supercuts”