BO Y FEATURES CLAIRO, UMI, OMAR APOLLO, & MORE
BO Y radiates the same kind of style and grace that a bootleg outfit would, and the autonomous and entrepreneurial spirit of Anthony's artistic ethos is also apparent in the distinct approach of the record – it feels unique and bespoke. However, the album is also loaded with guests – such as UMI, Clairo, and Omar Apollo – and this sense of collaboration is equally central for Anthony in his creative endeavors.
“Music is most fun for me when I make it with my friends, encouraging them to meet me outside of their comfort zones” he says. “Each feature on BO Y adds flavor to what the album tastes like as a whole.” A taste for a little bit of everyone.
The narrative of the album is split into 2 parts, built of small vignettes and montages. The album may sound like a perfect zeitgeist record – embracing idiosyncratic sounds via classic synth presets, electro beats, layered talk box swells, and R&B backbones – but it's the dark, angry, heart-wrenching twists and turns that give you a sense of awareness that each playful song surrounding is intentional, all giving balance to one another. Over three years in the making, Anthony understands the importance of not rushing things and never forcing a sound or style.
The album began life back on May 5th, 2016.
“At the time I had no gear except a MAC, so I taught myself how to build a studio. At the same time I also taught myself how to sew. Constructing upcycled clothes myself became a great inspiration on how to approach making a beast like BO Y.”
“In 2018 I launched my clothing brand, unexpectedly becoming the main source of funding to be able to take my time making the album. I would sew 10 sweaters, sell them and live off of that money for two months in LA, then go home and sew 10 more and repeat. I did this for an entire year.”
The album feels as eclectic and multifaceted, the work of someone obsessing over details in their room for years on end, but the result is also one that captures and celebrates a mood of moving forward. This is an album not only of the moment but of the future.
“BO Y is about speed,” he says. “I wanted to make it seem as if I was in a car with my friends going 1,000mph.”
UPCOMING DEATON CHRIS ANTHONY TOUR DATES
Jan. 30 – Toronto @ Velvet Underground
Feb. 1 – Boston @ Cafe 939
Feb. 6 – New York @ Bowery Ballroom
Feb. 7. Washington D.C. @ Union Stage
Feb. 8 – Philadelphia @ Boot & Saddle
Feb. 13 – Portland @ Holocene
Feb. 14. Seattle @ Vera Project
Feb. 15 – Vancouver, Fortune Sound Club
Feb. 19 – San Francisco @ Swedish American Hall
Feb. 21 – Los Angeles @ Troubadour
BO Y Track List
2. Mr. Call You Back
3. RACECAR (feat. Clairo, Coco & Clair Clair)
5. 1999 She
7. Coca Cola Cutie
8. Tony Hawk (feat. LA)
9. Deatony (feat. Korbin in Orbit)
10. U Got Talent
12. Deaton's Meditation
13. Late Night Lovin' (feat. Omar Apollo, Jean Dawson & Korbin in Orbit)
14. Hello Honeybee, Goodbye Butterfly
15. It's Okay to Cry, Boy
16. (Bonus) Sid the Kid
- GRAMMY®-WINNING ARTIST TASHA COBBS LEONARD CELEBRATES TEN-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF DEBUT ALBUM SMILE WITH SPECIAL REMASTER AND RE-RELEASE
- ALA.NI Releases New Song and Video “Lament for Emmett Till” Benefitting The Emmett Till Legacy Foundation
- MAROON 5 ANNOUNCE 2020 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR
- SKIP MARLEY RELEASES NEW MUSIC VIDEO FOR SINGLE “SLOW DOWN” WITH H.E.R.!
- RISING R&B ARTIST SAVANNAH CRISTINA UNVEILS “F’D UP” FEAT. FLO MILLI
- “AUTOMATIC” by DAY KORNEGAY MUSIC VIDEO
- Billboard Chart-topping Singer-songwriter J. BROWN Secures His 2nd TOP 10 Billboard R&B Hit Single With “MOON” This Week!
- JOHAN LENOX RELEASES NEW SINGLE WITH VISUAL “NO ONE WANTS TO DANCE ANYMORE” FT. YUNG PINCH
- Q MONEY CELEBRATES HIS BIRTHDAY WITH THE RELEASE OF NEW MIXTAPE “HOW YOU GON HATE”
- WATCH FIVIO FOREIGN AND YOUNG M.A COME TOGETHER IN THE MAFIA INSPIRED MUSIC VIDEO FOR “MOVE LIKE A BOSS”