COLOMBIAN POP STAR LAO RA RETURNS WITH SULTRY NEW SINGLE “PICAFLOR” FEATURING SPANISH RAPPER C. TANGANA
The critically acclaimed Colombian pop star Lao Ra – who has been hailed as “a new pop voice to get excited about” (The FADER) and as “South America’s most audacious pop export” (NME) – returns today with her first release of 2019 with the standout single “Picaflor” featuring recent Latin GRAMMY Award-winning Spanish rapper C. Tangana.
CLICK HERE to listen to the Capi (J. Balvin, Dominic Fike, Lele Pons) and DVLP (Eminem, J. Balvin, DJ Khaled) produced track available across all digital streaming platforms now via Disruptor Records.
The release of “Picaflor” is accompanied by its official video, which is directed by Hector Dockrill (Jorja Smith, Maverick Sabre) and depicts a toxic relationship. CLICK HERE to watch the stirring video. “Picaflor” marks the first track of new releases that will span 2020, introducing fans to Lao Ra and her Latin pop sound.
On her new single, Lao Ra shares, “Picaflor offers a sultrier and more melancholic version of me. It’s a song about a hunter and a prey, where a hunter is hunted and where hummingbirds fly and flowers grow in the foreground of chaos. The song is a metaphor for a toxic relationship.”
Influenced by Catholic imagery and reminders of the war on drugs prevalent in her hometown of Bogotá, Colombia, Lao Ra released her debut single “Jesus Made Me Bad” in 2016 that drew comparisons to M.I.A. and put her artistry on the map.
Lao Ra self-describes her music as “subversive pop.” The singer attributes part of her eclectic sound to the places that she’s called home: London and Colombia. She credits the English capital – where she lived for over 10 years – for bestowing upon her that punk attitude and Colombia for instilling the power of the tropics. The result is a multi sensory collage where energetic beats and blunt lyrics are at the heart center.
Through reggaeton beats and untamable wild animals, her vibrant storytelling is a nod to the female artists who’ve inspired her journey so far, from Debbie Harry to FKA Twigs; from Frida Kahlo to Madonna.
In 2018 she released her singles “Me Gusta,” “No Pressure,” and “Patrona,” which saw Lao Ra mixing both English and Spanish, further embracing her South American roots. More recently, she collaborated with Dillon Francis on the single “White Boi” and her recent single “Pa´Lante”
- ‘A Star Is Born’ Wins Best Original Song, Otherwise Snubbed
- RADIUS CHICAGO – New Music Venue Coming Early 2020 w. Dillon Francis, Killswitch Engage, Lil Wayne, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
- LEYLA BLUE RELEASES MUSIC VIDEO FOR “SILENCE,” OFF HER DEBUT EP, SONGS FOR BOYS THAT DIDN’T TEXT ME BACK
- THE CHAINSMOKERS RELEASE FULL-LENGTH ALBUM WORLD WAR JOY
- EPIC Introduces New Actist GIVEON With The Release of His New Song LIKE “I WANT YOU”
- LITTLE MIX RELEASE NEW SINGLE “ONE I’VE BEEN MISSING”
- GLOBAL SUPERSTAR CHRIS BROWN WON BIG AT THE BET PRESENTS: 2019 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS
- LEYLA BLUE SINGER/SONGWRITER RELEASES DEBUT EP SONGS FOR BOYS THAT DIDN’T TEXT ME BACK, OUT TODAY VIA ISLAND RECORDS
- HARRY STYLES TO RELEASE NEW SINGLE “ADORE YOU” DECEMBER 6TH
- Unconventional Country Music Artist, Walker Hayes, Is Giving Back To Fans This Holiday Season With The Release of 8Tracks Vol. 3 – Black Sheep