otta Shares new Track “small hours” Announces after it all blew over EP Due Out 1/24 On [PIAS]
Today, South-London artist otta has released new single “small hours” and also announced a debut 5-track EP titled after it all blew over that is due for release on January 24th, 2020 via [PIAS]. Listen to the new single HERE .
The British-Finnish artist will release their debut EP via [PIAS] and Warp Records producer kwes’(worked with Loyle Carner, Mica Levi, Damon Albarn, Solange Knowles, Tirzah) label BOKKLE. While all songs on the EP have been written, recorded, produced, engineered and performed by otta, kwes also lent additional production and mixing to the EP.
Speaking about the EP otta says: “I think the songs on this project were very much inspired by classic songwriting, I was listening to a lot of old pop music at the time as well as experimenting with electronic ambient music. This project was a product of finding a way to write structure into this in a way which feels natural whilst also sounding very much like a work in progress. I have always been very inspired by the production of Herbert, Dean Blunt and JPEGMAFIA, which sounds kind of chaotic in the best way whilst also feeling really natural.”
On after it all blew over, otta’s beguilingly honest practice forms into something that slips through the net of any known genre. The new material moves organically through dynamics that touch on elements of electronic music, UK jazz, future-pop, RnB and neo-soul, all delivered with a unique combination of worldliness and abandon.
There’s a playful approach to the way in which these flowing arrangements have been formed, otta explains: “I had always been writing songs on guitar but at this point I was spending a lot of time experimenting making more random music with my friends, we had no real intention of having a structured song within these ideas, it felt great…
This was the first time I made a song on Logic and was like “wait, maybe I can just do it myself or even just start to trust the sounds I’m using.” I also often find it hard to finish songs and always go off on a tangent, which I guess you can hear in the choruses of some other tracks on the project.”
While new techniques have been applied and learned, it’s clear that otta’s sense for melody and songwriting is far from novice. They have earned early plaudits from the likes of i-D, Ja Ja Ja and more, while also playing early live dates at Visions Festival and By:Larm, and to London’s underground live scene.
“small hours” is a desirous taste of what’s yet to come from otta and a statement of intent ahead of 2020. More details about after it all blew over and new live dates TBA soon…
after it all blew over track listing:
1. Near Enough A Woman
2. small hours
3. THE OTHERSIDE
4. Everything You Wanted
5. after it all blew over
- GLOBAL SUPERSTAR CHRIS BROWN WON BIG AT THE BET PRESENTS: 2019 SOUL TRAIN AWARDS
- Iann Dior RELEASES “FLOWERS” VISUAL FROM ALBUM INDUSTRY PLANT
- The Boomtown Rats Release “Trash Glam Baby”, the first single off upcoming 3/13/20 album, Citizens of Boomtown
- SAMTHING SOWETO KICKS OFF THE FESTIVE SEASON WITH TRIPLE MUSIC VIDEO RELEASES THIS WEEK
- LOUS AND THE YAKUZA RELEASES TRACK TOUT EST GORE
- NAYANA IZ Shares Debut Track “how we do” Out Now On Different Recordings
- MUSIC ARTIST, YOUTUBER, AND BOXER KSI STRIKES GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP WITH BMG
- THE AMAZONS ANNOUNCE 2020 US TOUR DATES SUPPORTING DIRTY HONEY
- QUIN RELEASES LUCID EP & “MUSHROOM CHOCOLATE” VISUAL feat. 6LACK
- ALLAN RAYMAN RELEASES NEW SONG “6 AM” THE LATEST TRACK OFF UPCOMING NEW ALBUM TITLED CHRISTIAN