Mildlife Share New Track “Rare Air”
Today Australian multi-instrumentalist four-piece Mildlife announce their forthcoming second album Automatic, their first for new label Heavenly Recordings, that will be released on September 18. Alongside this announcement the band share a first taste of what to expect in the shape of the sprawling, cinematic space jam “Rare Air”. Listen to it HERE.
In their own words, Mildlife explains “Rare Air” as being about “longing for clarity in the suffocating grip of everyday tedium. Wondering what life could or will be but trying to be present despite the temptation to endlessly pontificate every decision.”
The vinyl issue of Automatic will have a special locked groove feature; unique to the format and the intended way of listening to the album. The function of which is for the stylus to fall into a locked groove at the end of the closing track (rather than ending the record) so it will continue to play on an infinite loop without intervention allowing the listener to decide when the album experience is meant to finish.
With Automatic, the band have made a step-change from their debut. It’s more disciplined, directional and arguably more danceable. As on their debut album Phase, the band are unafraid to let a track luxuriate in length without ever succumbing to self-indulgence. “The recorded songs kind of become the new reference point for playing the songs live,’ explains vocalist Kevin McDowell. “They both have different outcomes and we make our decisions for each based on that, but they’re symbiotic and they both influence each other. It’s usually a fairly natural flow from live to recorded back to live.”
Following the release of 2018’s Phase, Mildlife completed a sold-out debut national headlining tour, followed by a whirlwind ten date tour of the UK and Europe that culminated in a euphoric homecoming set at Meredith Music Festival. Also on home turf they’ve enamoured crowds across a variety of festivals and supported amongst others, the like-minded Stereolab, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard.
The release of Phase resulted in the band being nominated for Best Album at the 2018 Worldwide FM Awards, Best Independent Jazz Album at the AIR Awards in 2019 and walking away with the gong for Best Electronic Act at The Age Music Victoria Awards.
In an effort to share the extraordinary experience of Mildlife live show, there will be a special special streamed event on June 6 at 9pm (more details to come), before heading out on the road for dates across Australia which will include a debut performance at Splendour In The Grass’ rescheduled dates.
Automatic track listing:
1. Rare Air
5. Memory Palace
pre-order Automatic HERE
- OLIVIA O’BRIEN LAUNCHES INNOVATIVE MICROMIXTAPE CONCEPT WITH TWO-SONG RELEASE, IT WAS A SAD F**KING SUMMER
- THE KID LAROI RELEASES HIS ANTICIPATED NEW SINGLE “ADDISON RAE”
- SKIP MARLEY & H.E.R. PERFORM + INTERVIEW ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA
- ISABELA MERCED UNVEILS THE “PAPI” MUSIC VIDEO TODAY
- HARRY STYLES ANNOUNCES 2020 WORLD TOUR
- CERAADI RELEASE THEIR CANDY-COATED HOLIDAY SINGLE “CHRISTMAS WITH YOU,” OUT TODAY VIA ISLAND RECORDS
- GRAMMY®-WINNING ARTIST TASHA COBBS LEONARD CELEBRATES TEN-YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF DEBUT ALBUM SMILE WITH SPECIAL REMASTER AND RE-RELEASE
- THE AMAZONS ANNOUNCE 2020 US TOUR DATES SUPPORTING DIRTY HONEY
- 24KGOLDN AND IANN DIOR PLAY IT COOL IN NEW SONG “MOOD”
- JOHAN LENOX RELEASES NEW SINGLE WITH VISUAL “NO ONE WANTS TO DANCE ANYMORE” FT. YUNG PINCH