Mildlife Share New Track “Rare Air”
Today Australian multi-instrumentalist four-piece Mildlife announce their forthcoming second album Automatic, their first for new label Heavenly Recordings, that will be released on September 18. Alongside this announcement the band share a first taste of what to expect in the shape of the sprawling, cinematic space jam “Rare Air”. Listen to it HERE.
In their own words, Mildlife explains “Rare Air” as being about “longing for clarity in the suffocating grip of everyday tedium. Wondering what life could or will be but trying to be present despite the temptation to endlessly pontificate every decision.”
The vinyl issue of Automatic will have a special locked groove feature; unique to the format and the intended way of listening to the album. The function of which is for the stylus to fall into a locked groove at the end of the closing track (rather than ending the record) so it will continue to play on an infinite loop without intervention allowing the listener to decide when the album experience is meant to finish.
With Automatic, the band have made a step-change from their debut. It’s more disciplined, directional and arguably more danceable. As on their debut album Phase, the band are unafraid to let a track luxuriate in length without ever succumbing to self-indulgence. “The recorded songs kind of become the new reference point for playing the songs live,’ explains vocalist Kevin McDowell. “They both have different outcomes and we make our decisions for each based on that, but they’re symbiotic and they both influence each other. It’s usually a fairly natural flow from live to recorded back to live.”
Following the release of 2018’s Phase, Mildlife completed a sold-out debut national headlining tour, followed by a whirlwind ten date tour of the UK and Europe that culminated in a euphoric homecoming set at Meredith Music Festival. Also on home turf they’ve enamoured crowds across a variety of festivals and supported amongst others, the like-minded Stereolab, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard.
The release of Phase resulted in the band being nominated for Best Album at the 2018 Worldwide FM Awards, Best Independent Jazz Album at the AIR Awards in 2019 and walking away with the gong for Best Electronic Act at The Age Music Victoria Awards.
In an effort to share the extraordinary experience of Mildlife live show, there will be a special special streamed event on June 6 at 9pm (more details to come), before heading out on the road for dates across Australia which will include a debut performance at Splendour In The Grass’ rescheduled dates.
Automatic track listing:
1. Rare Air
5. Memory Palace
pre-order Automatic HERE
- EPIC Introduces New Actist GIVEON With The Release of His New Song LIKE “I WANT YOU”
- Allan Rayman Releases Reimagined Version of “Ducks on the Pond” Only on Amazon Music
- CASPER BLUFF RELEASES NEW SINGLE “MY SHAWTY” FEATURING COCA VANGO TODAY
- Owen Releases Debut Track + Music Video for “Baby Girl”
- THE KID LAROI GRIEVES LOST FRIEND, JUICE WRLD IN ENDEARING NEW SONG “TELL ME WHY”
- BÜLOW RETURNS TO NORTH AMERICA FOR THREE MUCH-ANTICIPATED SHOWS
- SKIP MARLEY & H.E.R. PERFORM + INTERVIEW ON GOOD MORNING AMERICA
- BENEE PREMIERES VIDEO FOR “BLU”
- THE KID LAROI AND JUICE WRLD COME TOGETHER IN THE EMOTIONAL AND NOSTALGIC NEW MUSIC VIDEO FOR “GO”
- Bakar and Lancey Foux Share “Play” Music Video, New Bakar Album Due 2021